Fares and Tickets
Select a fare type
What is Fare Evasion?
Fare evasion is a criminal offence that could lead to a fine of up to €1,000 and a Court appearance. Random spot checks are carried out without warning on all Dublin Bus services to ensure that your ticket covers your entire journey and all the Zones you’re travelling in.
A standard fare (penalty fine) of €100 is charged by the company to each passenger found not to be in possession of a valid ticket, pursuant to the Dublin Bus Bye-Laws.
However, if you receive and pay a standard fare within 21 days of issue, a reduced charge of €50 will be accepted.
A ticket is invalid for the following reasons:
1. You have not paid the correct Leap/Cash fare.
2. Your prepaid ticket is not in-date.
3. You do not have the required Photo Identity Card with a travel pass from the Department of Social Protection.
4. You are using another person’s Personalised Leap Card
5. You do not have an in-date Student Leap Card.
How to pay a Penalty Fine?
- Pay online using Debit or Credit card.
- In person, using cash or credit card at Dublin Bus Head Office, 59 Upper O’Connell Street. You must bring your standard fare with you.
- By post, send a cheque into the Standard Fares Department, Dublin Bus Head Office, 59 Upper O’ Connell Street, Dublin 1 with a copy of the standard fare.
- If you wish to appeal against a standard fare with which you have been issued, you must do so via email to [email protected] within 21 days or in writing to Dublin Bus Standard Fare, 59 Upper O'Connell Street, Dublin 1.
Your personal data and standard fares
Your data will only be used for the purposes of communicating with you about your standard fare.
It will not be subject to international transfer but may be shared with the CIÉ group for the purpose of processing any related legal actions.
As part of our contract with the National Transport Authority (NTA) this information must be kept for a minimum of 18 months but, if required for a related legal case, your data will be retained until the legal case has concluded or the relevant statute of limitation expired.
You have several rights under Data Protection law. For more information, click our Data Protection Policy.
If you have any queries regarding Data Protection, please email [email protected]
- When you get on the bus, tell the driver your destination.
- The driver will then tell you how much your fare is.
- Please make sure that you have the correct change to pay for your fare. All our services are exact fare only and the driver cannot accept Euro notes or give change.
Department of Social Protection Free Travel Pass
- Free Travel Passes may be used at all times.
- Free Travel Pass Holders who fail to provide their pass will be liable for the appropriate fare and claims for refunds in such circumstances will not be entertained.
- Misuse of Free Travel Passes may lead to the Pass being confiscated and the holder liable for payment of the standard fare.
The Free Travel Pass does not apply:
- On Sightseeing Tours or Special bus services.
- For organised group travel on any service.