Recent winters have brought severe weather and adverse driving conditions. Long range forecasts predict this winter could bring temperatures, snow and ice similar to the two previous years.
Read practical advice on how best to prepare for severe weather
The following are some of the plans being put in place, in conjunction with the other transport agencies and Local Authorities, to allow Dublin Bus to continue to bring customers across Dublin safely this winter.
- Dublin Bus’ Severe Weather Review Group has undertaken an evaluation of Dublin Bus operations last winter. Over 90% of the route network was serviced during the periods of severe weather in 2010 / 2011.
- Dublin Bus has agreed priority routes with the Local Authorities for inclusion in their Winter Salting Programme to maximise the network which will be available. A plan has also been agreed on clearing city centre footpaths with a special focus on paths at busy bus stops.
- Each of the seven depots contains a large reserve of salt and grit which will be distributed by employees from early morning each day to ensure safe and prompt exit and entrance of vehicles.
- Specialised equipment has been purchased and is available within each depot including salt spreaders and a JCB Contractor has been engaged to clear depots at short notice if weather conditions deteriorate quickly.
- Special attention will be given to clearing snow and treating footpaths in the vicinity of Dublin Bus premises’ including the seven depots throughout the city.
- Traffic Management Screens have been installed in Dublin Bus’ Central Control Centre displaying live traffic movements. These screens compliment the Automatic Vehicle Location and Control system located in the centre which will allow employees to monitor both services and changes in weather and road conditions across the city.
- Customers can access up to date information on services in a number of ways:
Twitter: Follow us @dublinbusnews
Facebook: Like us at www.facebook.com/DublinBusNews
Customer Comment Desk
- Homepage of Dublin Bus website will be dedicated to service updates.
Dublin Bus website, Twitter and Facebook pages will be monitored and continuously updated. Opening hours of the Dublin Bus’ Customer Comment Desk will be extended.
- Severe weather can cause service disruptions which in turn affects the accuracy of Real Time Information (RTPI) provided for customers. Real Time features and on street screens will display a message informing customers that these services have been affected. We would advise customers to visit the Dublin Bus website, Twitter and Facebook pages or contact the Dublin Bus Customer Comment Desk to access information on Dublin Bus services during periods of severe weather.
- Customers can also access information on services through local and national media outlets which will be supplied with continuous updates throughout each day.